About

Friday, January 7, 2011

Suddenly, Cutting Is A Lot More Fun

I've begun the cutting process on the aforementioned quilt, and it's very nearly as exciting as I had expected it would be.  That is to say, Not Very Exciting At All.  I love sewing--hate cutting.  It makes your wrists hurt, there's never enough space no matter how big your work area, you're constantly having to line up the pattern or template *just so* and then it shifts and you drop a few f-bombs and line it back up *just so* and it shifts and you can't even throw the nearest object out of frustration because that's probably either pins or shears and neither one is safe for pets, guests, or significant others.  Also, pins are a pain to pick up, and shears are expensive.

BUT!!!  I have discovered a revolutionary (heh) cutting tool!  Granted, I have discovered it in much the same way that Columbus discovered North America--the Vikings totally got there first (oops).  Don't care.  It's new to me and I shall share.

Rotary.  Cutter.

Yes, seasoned quilters, I have only recently discovered the joy that is the rotary cutter.  For non-sewing-types, it's basically a razor-edged pizza cutter that goes through fabric (and your finger, if you're not careful) like buttah.  When Sister and I were at the nationally-distributed big-box all-purpose crafting supply chain store, they had most of the quilting supplies on a good sale.  I got a set containing one of these, and one of these, and a 12"x18" self-healing mat which for some reason is not featured on their website but which is a smaller version of this.

Because I am five, I HAD to try it out pretty much the second I walked in the door.  I hauled it up to the craft room, dug out some fabric scraps, made a few practice cuts and literally danced with joy.  Such a clean line!  Such a pleasing sensation as it slices the threads!  I think there is only one crafting experience I have ever found more satisfying, and that would be the pickle I embroidered on a kitchen towel.  (That was one soul-altering pickle, let me tell you.)  Jason came home from his run right around the time I was giggling like a sociopath and making cut after cut after fabricidal cut.  I made him try it.  He didn't seem quite as interested as I was, but deep down I know it changed his life the same way it changed mine.

So there you have it.  While I still find the cutting *process* mind-numbingly tedious, the cutting *experience* has improved immeasurably.  Rotary Cutter and I.  It's a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment